While Colorado law will allow you to represent yourself in a personal injury claim, it will be a complicated undertaking. Representing yourself under legal terms is called “pro se,” meaning “on your own behalf.”
If you choose to represent yourself in a personal injury claim, you can take action to file, manage, and direct your lawsuit on your behalf. While it is allowed, it is not recommended. Filing a personal injury claim without an experienced Denver personal injury attorney is risky. Handling your personal injury claim means you are forfeiting your opportunity to receive assistance and guidance from a trained professional.
The Process of Filing a Pro Se Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you choose to handle your personal injury claim independently, you will need to prepare every element of your claim on your own. The first step will be to submit a personal injury claim to the appropriate clerk’s office and pay the necessary filing fee.
After filing a lawsuit, you will then be acting as the plaintiff. The other party will be the defendant or other person or parties you are suing. You’ll need to start collecting evidence to build and prove your case. Evidence includes police reports, medical statements, and witness testimonies.
Keep in mind there is a possibility or even a high probability that the defendant will have legal representation. That means their attorney may request a personal injury deposition from you. That means you will need to be prepared to provide documents that comply with discovery rules. Your case will then be settled once all partied can agree on a settlement amount.
If you cannot reach a settlement agreement, your case will proceed to court and the process of a trial by jury.
Understanding the Risks of Accepting an Initial Settlement
If you choose to settle your lawsuit instead of going to court, you must accept a settlement offer to close your case. That means you will take a certain amount of money without ever going to court.
If you accept a settlement offer on your own, you could risk getting an amount that is far less than you deserve. You should recover a fair amount to cover your personal injury expenses. Keep in mind that even if you do have legal counsel, the ultimate decision on accepting a settlement is your choice.
Also, remember that just because you choose to represent yourself does not mean the other party will also represent themselves. They will most likely have lawyers representing them, and you will have to go up against those lawyers. In addition, they will most likely have resources you lack access to if you handle your case independently.
Do I Have a Personal Injury Claim?
Sometimes it can be tricky to determine if you have a valid personal injury claim. The best way to know is to contact a Denver personal injury lawyer who can assess your case and determine if you have reasonable grounds for a lawsuit. Here are a few necessary elements that must be present for a successful personal injury claim:
- Duty of care – you must establish that the guilty party had an obligation of “duty of care” owed to the victim.
- Breach of duty of care – once you’ve established duty of care, you need to prove that the defendant failed to uphold their responsibility or “breached” their duty of care.
- Causation – you need to be able to prove that the breach of duty caused the victim’s injuries.
- Damages caused by a breach of duty – the last step is to prove that the victim has suffered harm and incurred damages and losses due to the defendant’s negligence.
If you are unsure whether your case is a personal injury case, your best course is to call us for a proper legal consultation.
Why It’s Worth Hiring a Denver Personal Injury Lawyer
There are many reasons to hire a Denver personal injury lawyer. Here are a few:
1. Denver personal injury lawyers will relieve you of undue excessive stress. After being injured in a car accident, the last thing anyone wants to do is deal with a stressful legal claims process. When you file a legal claim, you have to keep track of numerous details like medical bills, communicating with insurance companies, and recording finances. The legal process can be taxing and become hectic or even confusing. Hiring a proficient Denver personal injury lawyer can help avoid frustration and stress.
2. Denver personal injury lawyers know legal pitfalls to avoid. Dealing with insurance companies and other attorneys is no walk in the park. They are trained professionals whose goal is to trap you into incriminating yourself or minimizing your credibility. A strategic and seasoned Denver personal injury lawyer on your side will ensure you don’t fall into any traps and help you make strategic decisions for the best outcome.
3. A Denver personal injury lawyer will ensure you receive fair compensation. Our attorneys have a comprehensive understanding of how Colorado law works and its relation to your settlement. We are also trained negotiators and know how to convince the judge or jury in your favor.
See It Through With an Experienced Denver Personal Injury Lawyer
It’s not always an easy task to find a good lawyer. However, working with a competent, seasoned lawyer can ultimately spell the difference between the success or failure of your case. Furthermore, the stress of an injury or financial hardships can take a toll on anyone, and an inadequate or inexperienced lawyer will only add to your frustration.
Make sure you find the right attorney who will have your best interests in mind throughout your case. Do not make the false assumption that all personal injury lawyers are of equal caliber. Instead, do your research and ask the right questions to ensure you make an informed decision and find the best attorney for your case.
Call us today for a free initial consultation. We will happily discuss your legal rights and fight to win you the total compensation you deserve.