A catastrophic injury is an injury that happens unexpectedly and causes long-term damage. Many times they interfere with the victim’s ability to enjoy life as they did before the injuries. Furthermore, a catastrophic injury can leave victims with permanent life changes. For example, a catastrophic injury could prevent victims from returning to work, maintaining personal relationships, or completing day-to-day activities.
Colorado law treats catastrophic injuries as more serious than minor injuries. That’s because catastrophic injuries are more complex and severe than most other personal injuries. Therefore, legal cases involving catastrophic injuries are more difficult to navigate. They also usually involve more significant damages.
If you or a loved one has suffered catastrophic injuries due to someone else’s negligence, you need to call a Denver personal injury lawyer. A Denver personal injury lawyer can help you recover compensation for your injuries. Many victims with catastrophic injuries face long-term medical expenses and rehabilitation costs. That’s why it’s essential to get sound legal advice and ensure you get a fair settlement.
Why Do I Need a Denver Catastrophic Injury Lawyer?
It’s vital to seek legal counsel after a catastrophic injury. One reason is that you want to ensure you bring forth your claim within the statute of limitations.
Furthermore, a catastrophic injury will likely result in permanent medical complications and disabilities. That means your damage will likely cause problems long after your initial recovery. As a result, you have the right to bring forth a civil suit against the liable party.
A catastrophic injury claim is a personal injury claim that involves substantial damages. An experienced Denver personal injury lawyer can help you recover damages like:
- Medical expenses for your injuries. That includes any hospital bills and long-term treatment costs for rehabilitation, physical therapy, medical assistive devices, and any other ongoing treatment you require. If your injuries require permanent in-home care, you could also seek compensation for those costs.
- Lost wages/reduced earning potential – if your injuries prevent you from returning to work, you can recover lost wages. Moreover, your attorney can help you claim compensation for future lost earning potential.
- Property damage – if the negligent party damaged or destroyed your personal property, you can recover replacement costs.
- Non-economic damages like pain and suffering
Examples of Catastrophic Injuries
The two most common catastrophic injuries in civil actions are traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injuries. Such injuries can be life-threatening if the victim does not get immediate medical care. Sometimes, even with prompt medical care, they experience permanent life-changing effects.
While there is no set list of injuries that are considered catastrophic, we generally accept very extreme injuries as catastrophic. Insurance companies and courts usually classify injuries as catastrophic on a case-by-case basis. To decide if an injury is catastrophic, you must consider the maximum medical recovery time. In addition, it’s essential to review the victim’s medical records, their condition, and the prognosis for their injuries.
Here are some of the most common catastrophic injuries seen in personal injury cases:
- Multiple bone fractures
- Traumatic brain injury or brain damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Amputated limbs
- Permanent eye or ear injury
- Severe burn injuries
- Internal Organ damage
Injuries requiring long-lasting medical care and follow-up surgeries or rehabilitation usually qualify as catastrophic. In addition, injuries that cause life-long pain, disability, or scarring and disfigurement are also considered catastrophic. If you suffered from fatal injuries in Denver, seek professional legal help immediately.
Who Is Liable For My Injuries?
If you want to secure financial compensation, you need to establish liability. The liable party is the person who caused your injuries through negligence or deliberate disregard for your safety. The at-fault party will become the defendant in your personal injury claim. A Denver catastrophic injury lawyer can investigate your case to help identify all liable parties.
Common Catastrophic Injury Causes in Denver
Catastrophic injuries are unexpected events that happen suddenly. They can happen at any time and often cause serious bodily injuries. Often victims are unable to function in life like before the accident. Here are some common accident scenarios that result in catastrophic injuries:
- Severe car accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Truck Accidents — These accidents frequently happen throughout Colorado annually. In Colorado, commercial trucks are highly regulated and must comply with specific regulations. If they fail to do so, any violation can be used as a factor to show the commercial truck company was negligent and caused your accident. Furthermore, truck drivers often drive with high demands and pressure to meet deadlines. So, the driver could be liable if their negligence caused your injuries in a truck accident.
- Motorcycle Accidents — These accidents are prevalent and usually happen because of a negligent car driver who failed to see the motorcyclist. Or, a driver may not have taken adequate precautions around a motorcycle. Motorcycle accidents can cause extensive, lasting injuries and damage. Sadly, many motorcycle accident victims sustain catastrophic injuries or result in wrongful death. Therefore, it is crucial to immediately contact an experienced Denver motorcycle accident lawyer in these cases.
Lawsuit for Catastrophic Injury in Denver
Catastrophic injuries don’t just affect the victim’s life forever – they also come with strenuous financial burdens. Financial recovery can be critical for victims’ future quality of life. Our Denver catastrophic injury lawyers will make every effort to file a claim on your behalf. Furthermore, we will fight aggressively to help you hold the negligent party accountable for the full extent of your injuries. If your claim was denied or disputed by the liable party, we are not afraid to move to trial.
Contact a Denver Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Today
A personal injury can have devastating long-term effects on a victim’s life. Sadly, the consequences can be more widespread and disastrous after suffering catastrophic injuries.
Catastrophic injuries will impact your life for months, years, or the rest of your life. What’s more, knowing that someone else’s negligence caused it is incredibly frustrating.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury due to another person’s negligence, you have a right to compensation. It may feel like your life has been completely changed after suffering a catastrophic injury – you should not have to deal with this traumatic experience alone.
Our catastrophic injury attorneys have handled numerous cases helping victims navigate the unique challenges of such injury claims. We take a personalized approach to every client, allowing us to provide direct support. But, most importantly, we will fight hard to get you the total compensation you deserve.
Call us today for a free consultation.