Driving while under the influence puts everyone on the roads at risk.
Unfortunately, while we all know how dangerous it is to drive under the influence, many people continue to do so. The sad reality is that drunk drivers often cause accidents that lead to severe injuries or even death. If a drunk driver has injured you, you need legal counsel from a professional Denver drunk driving accident attorney.
Drunk Driver Statistics
According to statistics from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA):
- On average, about 30 people are fatally injured by drunk driver-related accidents daily
- At that rate, we would observe about one drunk-driving-related fatality every hour.
- The total number of drunk-driving-related deaths in a recent year was 10,142.
Furthermore, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that the annual costs associated with drunk-driver-related accidents in the US are about $45 billion.
The bottom line is that drunk driving accidents are entirely preventable yet cause thousands of severe injuries and deaths yearly.
How Alcohol Impairs Your Ability to Drive
Alcohol causes changes in your brain that lead to decreased ability to safely steer or adequately use the gas and brake pedals. In addition to diminished motor skills, alcohol also relaxes the muscles that control your eyes. As a result, drinking can lead to blurred vision and delayed visual reaction time.
Furthermore, alcohol can impair drivers by decreasing their cognitive abilities, reasoning, and overall muscle coordination. Therefore, the more you drink, the more it will limit your ability to drive safely.
What’s more, many people are not very good at self-assessing how drunk they are. Drunk drivers who arrive in the ER after an accident express surprise or outright denial of their blood alcohol concentration (BAC). They often find themselves in disbelief about how impaired they were while driving. Most drunk drivers are drunker than you believe they are.
No matter how sober you feel or believe you are, drinking and driving are dangerous. Driving requires concentration, clear vision, and adequately functioning motor skills. If you get behind the wheel after drinking, you pose a serious threat to yourself and other drivers on the road.
Why You Need an Experienced Denver Drunk Driving Accident Attorney on Your Side
After you get into a car accident with a drunk driver, you’ll most likely want to seek compensation for the damages you incur. You might seek those damages through the drunk driver’s insurance company.
Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with when seeking a settlement or compensation for your damages. Since insurance companies are essentially profit-driven companies, they are invested in keeping their money. That means they also work to keep your settlement as low as possible.
Insurance companies often use shady tactics and tricks to minimize claims. It’s common to see insurance companies do things like:
- Flat out denying your claim
- Dragging out or intentionally complicating the claims process
- Offering low, unfair settlements
- Casting doubt on your damage claims
- Accusing the other party of having some negligence in the accident
That’s why you need a Denver drunk driving accident attorney. With proper legal counsel on your side, you can protect your rights and avoid the rocky road with insurance companies.
How a Denver Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Can Help After Becoming A Victim of a Car Crash
Here are some ways you can benefit from having a lawyer after being hit by a drunk driver:
- Your lawyer will help build the most substantial claim to get you the best possible outcome.
- Lawyers are skilled negotiators. Your attorney can deal with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you get the total compensation you’re entitled to.
- If the insurance company refuses to negotiate a fair settlement offer, your lawyer can proceed to help you file a personal injury claim.
- An attorney will offer valuable legal counsel. They can help you understand the strengths and challenges involved in your unique case. Your attorney will let you know all your options and ensure that you stay informed throughout the claims process.
Lawyers have the professional connections, expertise, experience, and resources to achieve the best outcome. Therefore, it would be advantageous to have a Denver Drunk driving accident attorney in your corner after the accident.
A Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Can Help You Get Fair Compensation
After a drunk driver leaves you injured, you may face immense losses. However, obtaining the total financial recovery you’re entitled to can help you recover from injuries fully and move forward with your life.
Therefore, working closely with a Denver drunk driving accident attorney will benefit you. In addition, your attorney can help you assess and claim all the damages for which you deserve compensation.
Some examples of damages or losses that your attorney can help you claim after being injured in a drunk driving accident include:
- Medical costs – if you sustained severe injuries from the accident, you may face ongoing and future medical bills.
- Lost earning capacity or lost wages if you are unable to return to work due to accident-related injuries
- Pain and suffering – many victims who sustain injuries from an accident later struggle with PTSD, depression, or anxiety.
- Property damage
- Wrongful death – if you lost your loved one to a drunk driving accident, your attorney can help you with a wrongful death claim.
Get Help From an Experienced Denver Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or someone you love was injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you might have some challenges ahead. Fortunately, our skilled Denver drunk driving accident attorneys have the experience and resources to help get you the compensation you deserve.
Our attorneys have handled numerous cases helping victims navigate the unique challenges of a drunk driving accident. In addition, our Denver drunk driving accident lawyers take a personalized approach to every client that allows us to provide honest, compassionate support.
We are committed to working closely with you every step of the way and will fight aggressively to get you the best possible resolution.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation initial consultation.