America and Colorado have seen a disturbing rise in pedestrian traffic fatalities over the last decade. A pedestrian is killed every two hours in the US and injured every eight minutes due to traffic accidents.
According to the Nation Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), pedestrian traffic fatalities have increased by nearly 20 percent in the past decade.
The rise of pedestrian traffic fatalities is not just a national concern. According to the Colorado Department of Transportation’s latest Problem Identification Report, there were 92 pedestrian fatalities last year in Colorado alone. That number accounts for an 84% increase in pedestrian traffic fatalities in Colorado over the past five years.
Many pedestrian traffic accidents result in catastrophic injuries or the loss of a loved one. They require a special type of legal focus, so it’s crucial to hire proper legal representation to help fight on your behalf. With adequate legal representation, you will protect your future and your right to fair compensation.
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one to a pedestrian traffic accident, contact an experienced Denver pedestrian accident attorney today. We will happily discuss the unique circumstances of your case to determine your recovery needs.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Traffic Accidents
While distracted pedestrians cause some incidents of pedestrian traffic accidents, the vast majority are due to negligent drivers. Some of the most common culprits that are to blame for distracted driving include:
- Cell phone use or texting while driving
- Children in the car
- Eating while driving
- Drinking while driving
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence
When distracted drivers make mistakes, they can potentially pose a life-threatening danger to pedestrians on the roadways. Distracted drivers commonly make mistakes like:
- Running a red light, crosswalk, or stop sign
- Not yielding the right of way to a pedestrian
- Cutting off a biker in the bicycle lane
- Speeding in areas with low-speed limits and high pedestrian traffic (residential areas or school zones)
The streets of Colorado get busier each year. While it’s exciting to be in the bustling streets, it also increases the chances of getting into a pedestrian traffic accident. Our Denver pedestrian accident lawyers are here to represent victims and families of pedestrian accidents. We will handle getting the compensation you deserve while you focus on recovering and getting your life back on track.
Common Injuries From Pedestrian Traffic Accidents
A shocking and sad reality is that children are often victims of pedestrian accidents. Smaller children are less visible to drivers and may dart into traffic without looking. Elderly pedestrians are also commonly involved victims of pedestrian accidents. Elderly victims may be more vulnerable due to slower reaction times.
No matter who the victim, the outcome of pedestrian traffic accidents is rarely a minor injury. The injuries that victims sustain from being hit by a car, truck, or other vehicle are usually severe or life-changing. Many times they often lead to life-long disabilities. Some possible outcomes after a pedestrian accident:
- Lost or amputated limbs
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Brain damage
- Internal injuries
- Broken bones
These injuries usually require extensive and ongoing medical treatment, leaving victims and families overwhelmed with medical expenses. If you or someone you loved has been involved in a pedestrian accident, do not wait any longer to contact a Denver pedestrian accident lawyer.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Traffic Accident
After an accident, you should call the police to file an official accident report. If you are injured, call for emergency medical care. Then contact your insurance company. You’ll also want to reach out to a qualified Denver pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Our legal team can investigate your case and gather the necessary evidence to build a strong case in your favor.
The other driver’s insurance company will likely do whatever they can to minimize or deny your claim. For example, they might suggest that your negligent actions caused the accident and your injuries. Therefore, we recommend that you wait to speak to insurance companies or adjusters until you have proper legal counsel. That way, you can avoid making mistakes that could jeopardize your claim.
Is There a Statute of Limitations for Pedestrian Accidents in Colorado?
There is a time limit for which you can file a claim after sustaining injuries in a pedestrian accident. In Colorado, you have up to 3 years from the accident to take action.
Contact a Denver pedestrian accident lawyer today to discuss your rights and ensure you do not miss the deadline to file a claim.
Tips to Prevent Pedestrian Accidents
1. Pay attention to your surroundings. For example, periodically survey your environment if you are walking on a sidewalk near a busy street or highway. Make a mental note of possible “escape routes” if a car loses control and comes in your direction.
2. Avoid wearing headphones or earbuds while walking, if possible, so you can hear what’s happening around you. If you must walk with headphones or speak on the phone, keep the volume low enough to hear a car horn or a driver yelling to warn of impending danger.
3. Try not to use your phone while walking, especially while crossing a street. Even if you are at a designated crosswalk, a distracted driver may be running the light while you are looking at your phone. The results could be tragic.
4. Use crosswalks. They are there for pedestrians to safely cross the street, rather than jaywalking, which increases your odds of being involved in an accident.
5. Be a defensive pedestrian. Never assume that the drivers and motorists on the road are paying attention. Be prepared to stop abruptly or even jump out of harm’s way.
6. Refrain from any unexpected or erratic movements that could throw off an approaching motorist, especially if you are walking against the direction of traffic.
By following these tips, you can help prevent the likelihood of being involved in a pedestrian crash. Always exercise additional caution while walking near traffic.
Contact a Denver Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident due to someone else’s negligence, you have a right to compensation. It may feel like your life has been completely turned upside down after being hit by a car – you should not have to deal with this traumatic experience alone.
Our pedestrian accident attorneys have handled numerous cases helping victims navigate the unique challenges of injury claims. We take a personalized approach to every case that allows us to provide authentically tailored support and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call us today for a free consultation.