What to Do After an Out of State Car Accident
Out of State Car Accident

What to Do After an Out of State Car Accident

What happens if you are involved in an out-of-state car crash? Such accidents can bring about additional problems.

Accidents happen all the time, and the aftermath of any car accident is challenging to manage. But what happens if you are involved in an out-of-state car crash? Such accidents can bring about additional problems to make dealings even more complicated than they already are. You’ll have to comply with the state’s rules where the accident took place. In addition, you’ll most likely need to file your claim in that state or jurisdiction.

Thus, if you’re driving around the country, it’s good to know what you should do after being involved in a crash, especially if it happened in another state.

Since insurance companies know that drivers regularly cross state lines, insurance regulations are similar in most states. But there is no standard procedure that fits every case. For example, minimum insurance liability amounts will vary from state to state. The bottom line is that your insurance claim process will depend on individual circumstances and in which state your accident happened. The more complex your case, the more beneficial it will be for you to hire a car accident lawyer to deal with the case on your behalf.

The task of finding legal representation itself can be a concern with certain complications since your collision was in another state. Your local car accident attorney may not be able to represent you in an out-of-state due to their practice license. Sometimes, local attorneys have a license to practice in neighboring states, so make sure you find the right attorney.

What to Expect After An Out Of State Auto Crash

After an out-of-state car accident, the steps to take are similar to those you would follow if the accident occurred in your home state. Your main priority following the crash should be to check yourself and your passengers to ensure no one is seriously injured. If anyone involved in the collision has injuries, call for immediate medical attention. You may also need to visit your doctor when you return to your home state.

Then, call the police to report the accident. You should never skip this step, as you will want to have an official accident report filed for your injury claim. Be sure to obtain a copy of the official police report. Another critical thing to remember is never to admit anything.

After an accident, take photos or videos of the scene and get the contact details of all parties involved. That includes the other driver(s) and any nearby witnesses or bystanders who may have seen the accident occur.

You’ll need to notify your insurance company and get the insurance information of the other parties involved in the crash.

Settling With an Insurance Company After a Car Accident in Another State

Insurance claims are not always quickly settled. You could accept an initial settlement offer from the insurance company and let them mail you a check. The issue with that is you’ve probably accepted much less than what you are entitled to.

Therefore, it’s in your best interest to hire an attorney who can represent you and get you the total compensation for damages.

What if You Can’t Agree on a Settlement After Your Out-Of-State Car Accident?

If you have a significant claim and cannot successfully reach a settlement agreement with the other driver(s), you must hire an attorney. This may prove difficult because you might need to hire an attorney who can represent you where the accident occurred and in your home state.

What if I Was Involved in a Car Accident in a Neighboring State

If you were involved in an accident that occurred in a neighboring state, there’s a good chance you can find a lawyer who has a license to practice in both states. This would be ideal, so you only need to hire one attorney.

What if the Car Accident Was in Another State Far Away?

If you were involved in a car accident in a state far away from home, your case might be more complicated. Therefore, it may be more efficient for you to hire a lawyer who practices in the state in which your accident occurred. Since they already practice there, it will be easier for them to work on your case.

Finding an attorney in the state of interest also ensures that they will be experienced and knowledgeable of the local state laws. As a result, they will probably help settle your claim faster than if you hired an out-of-state attorney unfamiliar with the local laws.

An alternative option you have is to hire a local attorney who can partner with a lawyer from out of state to handle the case in that state. This is called a pro hac vice arrangement, which allows an attorney from out of state to handle a case as long as they work with a lawyer who is admitted to that state’s bar.

So, for example, if you live in Colorado and had an accident in Kansas, you can hire an attorney from Colorado to partner with a Kansas lawyer and handle your case.

See It Through With an Experienced Denver Personal Injury Lawyer

Regardless of where your accident took place, working with a competent lawyer can ultimately spell the difference between the success or failure of your case. Furthermore, the stress of an injury or financial hardships can take a toll on anyone, and an inadequate or inexperienced lawyer will only add to your frustration.

Make sure you find the right car accident attorney who can help you with your unique case or point you in the right direction. Do not make the false assumption that all personal injury lawyers are of equal caliber. Instead, do your research and ask the right questions to ensure you make an informed decision and find the best attorney for your case. In addition, many attorneys are well connected and have friends or know attorneys in other states, so it will benefit you to consult with a legal professional.

Call us today for a free initial consultation. We will happily discuss your legal rights and fight to win you the total compensation you deserve.

Sharing is Caring....
Denver Personal Injury Lawyers
Denver Personal Injury Lawyers

1001 Bannock 
St #8
Denver, CO 80204
(720) 500-HURT

Free Consultation