If you’ve been hit or injured in an electric scooter accident, then our Northglenn electric scooter accident attorneys may be able to help you recover compensation.
At Northglenn Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re familiar with the relatively new Northglenn electric scooter laws and can help you get the money you deserve to recover as best possible.
Why Hire a Northglenn Electric Scooter Accident Attorney?
Electric scooters are rapidly growing in popularity in Northglenn. Provided by companies such as Bird and Lime, they’ve opened up a new form of transportation. But with that comes inherent risk.
Just like driving a car, there are laws that electric scooter operators must follow in Northglenn. If you’ve been injured because someone ignored these laws, then you likely deserve financial compensation for your damages.
Whether you were operating the scooter, riding a bike, driving a car or out walking – we can help.
Our Northglenn electric scooter accident attorneys can prepare a claim with a combination of impressive legal expertise and resources. We don’t give in to the tricks and bullying from insurance companies and will fight for the money you deserve.
Northglenn Electric Scooter Facts and Statistics:
Popular Electric Scooter Providers:
National Electric Scooter Injury Facts:
The CDC reported:
- There is an e-scooter injury rate of 14.3 per 100,000 trips
- Head injuries are the most common electric scooter accident injury (45% of all injuries).
- The second most common is upper extremity fractures (27% of all injuries).
- 1 out of 190 injured riders wears a helmet.
Common Electric Scooter Accidents in Northglenn:
Although electric scooters give a great sense of freedom, they can be extremely dangerous. We’ve seen incidents such as:
- Crashes with pedestrians, caused by electric scooter riders riding on sidewalks or other places they shouldn’t be.
- Accidents caused by electric scooters with the speed limiter removed.
- Accidents caused by mechanical issues and failures with the scooters.
- Accidents caused by potholes, debris and unsafe roads.
- Accidents caused by dangerous scooter driving.
- Scooter riders struck by opening car doors.
- Crashes with other scooters.
- Crashes with cars.
- Crashes with bicycles.
- Accidents due to vandalism such as cut brake cables.
Northglenn’s Electric Scooter Laws
Ignorance of Northglenn’s electric scooter laws has been a common cause of accidents in recent years.
What is an Electric Scooter?
Colorado defines an electric scooter as:
- Weighing less than 100 pounds.
- It has handlebars and an electric motor.
- An electric motor powers it.
- It has a maximum speed of 20 miles per hour on a paved level surface.
Electric Scooter Laws in Northglenn
Electric scooters are regulated in Colorado under the same conditions as electric bikes:
- Electric scooters are forbidden from being operated on interstates, sidewalks or limited-access roads – unless the area also allows bicycles.
- You can ride electric scooters in bicycle lanes and on roadways.
- Electric scooter riders must follow all the rules of the road, such as traffic signals and traffic signs.
- If you’re under 18 years old, you must wear a helmet (including passengers).
- You must have a basic Class R driver’s license.
- Any personal scooters must be registered and insured with the State of Colorado.
Note that before 2019, electric scooters were regulated as ‘toy vehicles.’ That was until a bill was introduced, regulating them the same as ‘electric bikes.’
Liability for Electric Scooter Accidents in Northglenn
Who Is Liable in an Electric Scooter Accident?
In most cases, the liability for an electric scooter accident is based on negligence. For example, suppose you’ve been injured by an electric scooter that was going fast on the sidewalk. In that case, the electric scooter rider is liable.
Another example could be a distracted car driver failing to yield and hitting you while you ride an electric scooter. In that case, the car driver would be liable.
Even manufacturers have been found liable. Such as in 2019 when Lime was sued by users who were suddenly and violently thrown off the scooters due to a brake fault.
Depending on the circumstances, the individual or their insurance company may have to pay a victim for the damages suffered.
Just like any other personal injury claim, proving negligence is an essential step. In Colorado, both parties are examined for their involvement in the accident. The judge will then determine the relative fault of each party. The percentage of that will then reduce the amount of compensation you’re entitled to.
To prove negligence in a Northglenn electric scooter accident, you must prove:
- The defendant was at fault or caused the accident.
- That fault directly resulted in your injuries.
Our Northglenn electric scooter accident attorneys can investigate your accident to determine the cause, before preparing a robust case that will give you the best chance at receiving the financial compensation you deserve.
Common Negligent Parties for Electric Scooter Crashes in Northglenn:
- Scooter operators.
- Scooter companies and manufacturers
- Car drivers
- Bus drivers
- Road maintenance agencies
Colorado Statute of Limitations
Colorado’s Statute of Limitations limits the time you have to file a personal injury claim to two years from the date of injury. It’s advised that you contact a Northglenn electric scooter accident attorney as soon as possible to avoid the risk of missing this deadline. (§13-80-102 and §13-80-101).
Common Injuries Suffered in Northglenn Electric Scooter Accidents:
As riding a scooter, bike or walking is an unprotected activity, these accidents can result in severe injuries. Our Northglenn electric scooter accident attorneys have worked on collisions resulting in:
- Amputation injuries
- Bone fracture injuries
- Burn injuries
- Scarring & Disfigurement
- Crush injuries
- Facial injuries
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Internal injuries
- Laceration and bruising injuries
- Road rash
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
What Damages Could I Win in an Electric Scooter Accident Claim in Northglenn?
If you’ve suffered injuries due to someone else’s negligence in an electric scooter accident, then our Northglenn electric scooter accident attorneys can help you file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. Damages that you could recover may include:
- Medical Expenses (past and future, since the date of the accident)
- Rehabilitation Costs
- Treatment Costs
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Future Earnings
- In-Home Care Expenses
- Childcare Costs
- Medical Equipment Costs
- Transportation Expenses
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Loss of Consortium
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Scarring / Disfigurement
- Long-Term Disability
- Potential Punitive Damages
- Property Damage
- Wrongful Death
Unsafe Behavior That Causes Northglenn Electric Scooter Accidents:
- Not wearing a helmet
- Sharing a scooter with passengers
- Riding a scooter on sidewalks
- Failing to follow traffic signals
- Failing to follow the rules of the road
- Riding a scooter under the age of 18
- Riding a scooter while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Riding at night without lights or visible clothing.
- Distracted riding.
Contact an Electric Scooter Accident Attorney in Northglenn, CO
If you’ve been injured in an electric scooter accident in Northglenn that was someone else’s fault, contact our Northglenn electric scooter accident attorneys.
With a combination of a proven track record, impressive financial resources, esteemed legal reputation and a compassionate approach, we believe there is no better team than Denver Personal Injury Lawyers.