If you’ve been hit by a vehicle while walking, our Applewood pedestrian accident attorneys can help. These accidents often result in life-changing injuries and expensive medical bills that victims shouldn’t have to pay for.
Applewood Personal Injury Lawyers can help you receive the compensation you deserve, potentially even if there was shared responsibility for the accident.
Why Hire an Applewood Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
If you’ve been hit by a car or other vehicle as a pedestrian, you likely deserve justice. The at-fault party should cover your medical bills, lost wages, suffering and other damages.
In most cases, the at-fault party is the driver. However, regardless of who caused your accident, you’ll need expert legal support. Up against daunting insurance companies and opposing lawyers, pressuring tactics and manipulation are sadly all too common.
But our Applewood pedestrian accident attorneys can help. Equipped with impressive experience and specialist resources, we will fight to recover the maximum possible financial compensation you deserve.
Feel free to contact us today for a free consultation.
Applewood Pedestrian Accident Statistics
- Between 2009 and 2019, Colorado saw a 55% increase in pedestrian deaths.
- SUVs and Pick-ups have a 66-67% injury rate.
- The peak time for Applewood pedestrian accidents occurs at rush hour – between 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM.
Types of Crashes:
- 61% of Applewood pedestrian accidents occur when the motorist is driving straight.
- 28% occur when a motorist is turning right.
- 12% occur when a motorist is turning left.
Common Types of Injuries in Applewood Pedestrian Accidents
When a pedestrian gets hit by oncoming traffic, the injuries can be horrific. With no protection, the victim can suffer from the initial impact followed by a secondary impact with the windshield and a third with the asphalt.
Our Applewood pedestrian accident attorneys have helped victims recover damages for a variety of serious injuries, such as:
- Back, shoulder, and neck injury
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Chest injury
- Crushing injury
- Eye injury
- Fractures and broken bones
- Head injury, including concussion
- Scarring & Disfigurement
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injuries
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Applewood:
Several factors can play a part when a pedestrian gets hit by a vehicle. In 69.7% of police reports taken in Denver, the officer lists ‘no apparent reason’ as they can’t determine the cause at the time. However, after further analysis and evidence are gathered later, the cause becomes obvious.
According to Applewood authorities, distracted driving is the leading cause of motorist-caused pedestrian accidents in Applewood.
These accidents usually occur when a driver fails to keep focus on the road by eating, drinking, using a cellphone or taking their hands off the wheel. This can cause drivers to miss crosswalks or swerve and collide with people on the sidewalk.
Aggressive driving is the second-highest cause of motorist-caused pedestrian accidents in Applewood.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines aggressive driving as when “an individual commits a combination of moving traffic offenses so as to
endanger other persons or property.”
This includes speeding, failure to yield, tailgating, running red lights, passing on a shoulder and unsafe lane changes.
New drivers can make errors if they’re not familiar with the rules of the road. Missing traffic signals, misinterpreting road signs or simply being error-prone can result in life-changing accidents.
Driving Under Influence (DUI)
Drink driving or driving while on drugs is sadly a common cause of Applewood pedestrian accidents. With reaction time and visibility inhibited, drivers can collide with people crosswalks, swerve onto sidewalks, or cause crashes where debris hits innocent bystanders.
There are times when the driver is not the only at-fault party. Crosswalk location, design and electronics have also been to blame in the past.
In these scenarios, engineering firms and governmental agencies may be to blame.
Liability in Applewood Pedestrian Accidents
Drivers have a responsibility to follow the road rules and operate with extra caution around pedestrians.
Any driver who breaches the duty of care, which is found to be directly related to the victim’s injuries, may be found liable.
Clear evidence is required to convince a court that the driver was responsible for your injuries.
Our Applewood pedestrian accident attorneys will work on your behalf to investigate your accident and determine who was at fault and why. Doing so gives you a realistic chance at receiving the compensation you deserve.
Comparable Fault Laws
In Colorado, we have comparative fault or comparative negligence laws. These laws require every case to be analyzed to see if there is a share of the responsibility.
This means even if you stepped off the sidewalk, the other driver might still be found partially responsible if, for example, they were speeding.
However, the pedestrian’s amount of fault must be less than the driver’s fault or the court will dismiss the pedestrian’s claim.
What Damages Could I Recover for My Applewood Pedestrian Accident?
Our Applewood pedestrian accident attorneys can determine what your damages are – from your medical expenses to the impact the injuries have had on your life. We regularly help victims receive compensation for damages such as:
- Medical Expenses (past and future, since the date of the accident)
- Rehabilitation Costs
- Treatment Costs
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Future Earnings
- In-Home Care Expenses
- Childcare Costs
- Medical Equipment Costs
- Transportation Expenses
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Loss of Consortium
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Scarring / Disfigurement
- Long-Term Disability
- Potential Punitive Damages
- Property Damage
- Wrongful Death
What to Do if a Loved One Has Died in a Pedestrian Accident?
If someone close to you has died after being hit by a car or other vehicle, you can file a wrongful death claim. These claims are designed to help surviving families recover damages such as funeral expenses, loss of earnings and coverage for their suffering.
We welcome you to contact us today for a free consultation.
Hit and Run Pedestrian Accidents
Sadly, hit and run accidents are becoming more and more frequent in Applewood. Hit and run accidents occur when a pedestrian is hit and the driver flees the scene, leaving the victim alone and unsure who was responsible.
With a focused investigation, our Applewood pedestrian accident attorneys can find the responsible driver and build a robust case that brings justice and compensation.
According to Applewoodgov.org:
- 25.5% of Applewood pedestrian crashes were hit and run.
- Pedestrian hit and run accidents had a 56% injury rate.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Applewood?
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in Applewood, you should:
- Call 911 – A police officer will arrive to make a police report and secure the accident scene. You may need an ambulance for your injuries.
- Receive Medical Attention – Your health is the priority. Always receive medical treatment after being hit by a car, even if you feel ok.
- Get the driver’s information – Ensure you collect contact details, name, phone number and vehicle and insurance information.
- Take and Protect Photos – Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries. This can prove crucial in showing there is a link between the accident and your injuries.
- Get Eyewitness Information – If possible, ask eyewitnesses for their report and retain their contact information.
- Talk to the police – Never admit fault, but talk to the police, so they get your side of the story into their police report.
- Retain Medical Bills and Other Evidence – All receipts related to your injuries should be retained and protected, as well as doctors’ notes.
- Speak to an Applewood pedestrian accident lawyer – Contact Applewood Personal Injury Lawyers as soon as possible to avoid being manipulated by insurance companies and so we can prepare a robust case on your behalf.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Applewood, CO
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident that was someone else’s fault, contact our Applewood pedestrian accident attorneys as soon as possible.
With a combination of a proven track record, impressive financial resources, esteemed legal reputation and a compassionate approach, we believe there is no better team than Denver Personal Injury Lawyers to get you the money you deserve.