If you have sustained injuries from a high-speed vehicle collision, it may be critical for you to contact a competent Denver speeding accidents attorney. A speeding accident can occur when two or more vehicles are driving at excessive speeds for the circumstances. The drivers may or may not be exceeding the speed limit. Denver speeding accident attorneys will make every effort to help you acquire equitable and fair compensation for your injuries.
How Long After a Car Accident Can You Claim for Damage?
According to the Colorado Statute of Limitations (CO Rev Stat § 13-80-101 (2016)), – you have a limited window of opportunity in which to file a lawsuit for any damages or losses incurred from a speeding accident. A period known as the Statute of Limitations or SOL, (which is three years in Denver, CO) prevents individuals who have been injured in a speeding accident to file a lawsuit for another party’s negligence outside of the specified time frame.
Since the SOL only gives a bracket of three years to take action after an accident, it is important that you seek legal counsel from a Denver speeding accidents attorney as soon as possible, to ensure your claim is not prohibited by the statute of limitations. This could result in you not receiving the maximum compensation that you deserve.
High-Speed Car Accidents in Colorado
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has found that speeding has been a contributing factor to almost ⅓ of all fatal crashes in the US over the past 20 years. Speeding or reckless driving is also the third leading contributing factor in traffic crashes in general.
Speeding accidents are not limited to only highways. Here are some statistics about speeding accidents:
- 40% of speeding cases occur on roads where speed limits of less than 50 miles per
- 20% of speeding accidents occur on roads with speeding restrictions of 35 miles per hour or less
- Male drivers in the age range of 15-24 are the highest risk group for speeding or speed-related accidents
- The road structure can also contribute to speeding accidents – 40% of fatal speeding accidents occur on the winding sections of the road.
The Colorado Department of Transportation reports that in 2017, Speeding accidents have increased over the past five years with an eight percent increase between 2016 and 2017. In Denver alone, speeding contributed to 35% of all fatalities in 2017.
What Happens if the At-Fault Party Doesn’t Have Enough Insurance to Pay?
In Denver, there is a minimum of $25,000 for bodily injury and your costs may very well exceed this amount. If this is the case you have the option to file an uninsured motorist (UM) claim, but keep in mind Colorado law does not require UM coverage. Insurers, however, must offer it as an option. UM coverage can also prove to be helpful if you end up in an accident with someone who does not have insurance in the state of Colorado, or have insurance at all.
What Are the Different Phases of a Car Accident Case?
- The client completes any medically necessary treatment
- A Denver speeding accidents attorney will present a demand package to the at fault driver’s insurance company – a demand package outlines all damages and how the at fault party is responsible for all damages.
- A Denver speeding accidents attorney will negotiate with the insurance company after the demand package is propositioned.
- The client will decide to accept or reject the offer to settle the claim – if the client decides to reject the insurance company’s final settlement offer, then he or she can file a lawsuit.
- Then comes the discovery phase – after the initial documents are filed, parties may request evidence from each other to build a case.
- Settlement discussions – if the case cannot be settled then trial will proceed.
How Much Compensation Can I Get from a Speeding Accident Case?
Denver speeding accidents attorneys understand that the aftermath of a car accident can wreak havoc on victims physically and or emotionally. We may be able to help you recover economic and non-economic damages, especially if you have incurred any of the following:
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe sprains or strains
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Open head wounds
- Spinal cord injuries
- Other severe back or neck injury
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Crush injuries or amputations
- Significant scarring or disfigurement
If you decide to file a lawsuit against the driver whose speeding caused the accident, you would claim punitive damages. While Economic and non-economic damages would help cover the costs you may have been forced to cover related to financial and emotional depletion, punitive damages are not compensatory in nature. Punitive damages are meant to serve as retribution for individuals who have been negligent and prevent future accidents. Denver speeding accidents attorneys will aggressively work to get you the full financial accord you deserve from the other party.
How Can a Denver Speeding Accidents Attorney Help Me?
Although it may be possible for you to file an insurance claim on your own, Denver speeding accidents attorney wants to make sure that you fully understand all of your rights.
Our team of experienced Denver speeding accident attorneys will efficiently handle your case from beginning to end. With our network of experts, we handle all filing deadlines, evidence obtaining requirements, and retrieving any expertise from our associates that can be helpful to your case. Your Denver speeding accidents attorney will also discuss the claim with the opposing party’s legal counsel and their insurance adjusters to reach a settlement agreement that compensates you fairly.
Denver speeding accident attorneys will make it a top priority to help you focus on recuperating from your injuries and moving ahead with your life.
Contact a Speeding Accident Attorney in Denver, CO
If you’ve been injured in a speeding accident that was someone else’s fault, contact our Denver rideshare attorneys as soon as possible.
With a combination of a proven track record, impressive financial resources, esteemed legal reputation, and a compassionate approach, we believe there is no better Denver speeding accident attorney team than us.